Only by breaking through from the Qi Condensation stage to Foundation Establishment can one truly be a fish who leapt over the dragon gate. It is only then that your life actually changes, and you truly shed that which is mortal. That is the true path of Immortality, when your longevity is increased by at least a hundred years.
There are three types of Foundation Establishment.
- Foundation Establishment via the Mortal-Dao requires a Foundation Establishment Pill. The probability of success is low, but if you succeed, you acquire a hundred years of longevity.
- Foundation Establishment via the Earth-Dao (Earthstring Foundation) involves absorbing Earth energy and transforming it into shocking power. The probability of success is even lower, but the result is an addition of two hundred years of longevity.
- Foundation Establishment via the Heaven-Dao (Heavenstring Foundation). This is very rare and can only come via random chance. However, if you can succeed with that type of Foundation Establishment, then you get an extra five hundred years of longevity.
While the Mortal-Dao Foundation Establishment opens a Spiritual Lake, an Earthstring Foundation Establishment (Earth-Dao), however, opens a Spiritual Sea.
(For the Earthstring 9 layers Foundation Establishment Standards)
- Early Foundation Establishment - Corresponds to opening one's Spiritual Sea (or Lake).
- Mid Foundation Establishment (化海成晶, Transforms the Sea into Crystal) - Corresponds to the crystallization of the first 3 layers of the Spiritual Sea.
- Late Foundation Establishment - Corresponds to the crystallization of the middle 3 layers of the Spiritual Sea.
- Great Circle of Foundation Establishment - Corresponds to the crystallization of the last 3 layers of the Spiritual Sea.
- Quasi-Core Realm - Corresponds to a Half-Step to Core Formation cultivator.
Foundation Establishment Holy Lands
The three Foundation Establishment Holy Lands were the Fallen Sword Abyss, the Lone Hell Pocket Realm, and the Primordial Spirit Hollow. Once per sixty-year-cycle, they would be simultaneously opened.
Of course, the Spirit Stream Sect wasn’t the only sect qualified to send people into the three Holy Lands. All four of the strongest sects in the cultivation world of the eastern Lower Reaches would send disciples. The Spirit Stream Sect was only one of those four major sects.
The Fallen Sword Abyss was considered the best of the three Holy Lands, with the Lone Hell Pocket Realm being second and the Primordial Spirit Hollow being the third. The reason for the Holy Lands being ranked in that way was that, according to the legends, the Fallen Sword Abyss contained a strand of Heavenstring energy.
These legends had been around for a long time, but on all the occasions in which the Fallen Sword Abyss had been opened, never once had anyone acquired any Heavenstring energy.